Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Fun with Furniture

When Craig and I got married, I had a pretty good idea what he could or could not do in terms of DIY projects in the home. Craig can hang a picture like nobody's business and is highly skilled with a cordless drill (and a multitude of other tools). I, on the other hand, would prefer to throw out whatever was broken and buy a new one or hire someone. It's a good thing we got married.

When we moved into our two-bedroom apartment we found ourselves with a whole other room to decorate and furnish. The original plan was to buy furniture for the bedroom. If I had my way the whole room would look like a Pottery Barn catalog with the Pottery Barn price tag. Unfortunately or fortunately, Craig had a different idea.

Craig had the crazy idea that he would just build the furniture himself. He recently discovered a wood shop on the Air Force base and now had access to everything he would need to build furniture. Now don't get me wrong, I have great faith in my husband and his ability to accomplish whatever he sets out to do, but I was slightly apprehensive. He found plans on the internet for a furniture set that was inspired by Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware. I knew I picked a good one! Even though he wouldn't let me buy the ridiculously expensive furniture, he had my best interests in mind. In the beginning of May he started his furniture building project. Unfortunately, I didn't take very many pictures of the building process (only 1), but you'll be able to see the finished products.

Here's how it turned out:

Project One: The bed frame and head board


Staining the bed frame on top of my old Ikea comforter from college



The finished product! The head board is actually hanging on the wall instead of being attached to the bed.


Project Two: Full-length mirror


I specifically asked Craig to make a mirror because the cheap mirror we bought at Target was all wonky and made my already short torso/legs look even shorter.

Source: Mirror

Project Three: Nightstand


All the pieces turned out great, but I was especially impressed with the nightstand. 

Source: Nightstand

I absolutely love every single piece he made and I feel so blessed to have such a handy husband! Right now Craig is working on a book shelf that will go in the guest bedroom, so I'll post pictures when it's done. 

All in all for the bed frame, head board, mirror and nightstand we spent a grand total of $330! What a bargain! The nightstand by itself probably would've cost that much or more if we had bought it from Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware.I think Craig was relieved he was able to build the furniture, so now our bank account won't disappear every time we move into a bigger home.

So what do you think of the furniture?

Jade

1 comment:

  1. Love the furniture! Craig is very talented! Think I can put in an order for a bed? :)

    ReplyDelete