Pages

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Stuffed Peppers

*Waldo Canyon Fire Update: The fire is 45% contained! Many of the evacuees were allowed to return to their houses. We can still see smoke, but very thankful that progress has been made to contain the fire. So thankful for all the fire fighters and volunteers! #prayforcolorado

The night that Craig got called back into work (June 26th) was the same night that I decided to attempt a stuffed pepper recipe. Unfortunately, Craig had to leave before dinner was ready, so I enjoyed the peppers by myself.

I've been on the hunt for a healthy stuffed pepper recipe and I think I found one!

Stuffed Peppers (click on link for recipe)

Ingredients for 2 servings:
1/2 cup brown rice
1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
8 ounces 95% lean ground beef
1 15 ounce can of no salt added diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
fresh ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup water
4 large green bell peppers

I tweaked the recipe a little bit to serve 3. I'm on a quest to make Craig eat more since he works out so much :) I used 1 cup of rice, 12 ounces of lean ground beef, almost a full tsp of oregano, basil and paprika, a pinch more than a 1/4 tsp of salt, 1 cup water and 5 peppers. I had enough of the filling left over to fill 6 peppers, but I only bought 5. I also used a mix of yellow and green peppers.


The recipe didn't include cheese, but we LOVE cheese! It's obviously not as healthy, but it tastes better! I added the cheese right before I put the peppers in the oven. Overall the recipe was really easy to make and it was delicious. I would even consider using the filling in other recipes, like enchiladas.

Here's the link to the recipe again, Stuffed Peppers

ENJOY! 

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I love stuffed peppers! They're so pretty too.

    ReplyDelete